Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Flop That Was Uno

So I thought today would be the perfect day to teach the kids how to play Uno (using our sight words) at the teacher table. I won't lie- I was pretty proud of this Uno Sight Word game. I actually found it online and then typed in all of our sight words, printed up the cards, our WONDERFUL parent volunteers laminated them for me, I cut them apart, glued them... it took quite a bit of work and I have been excited to teach the kids how to play.

I really should have known. Teaching kindergarteners to play the game of Uno sounds like a seemingly easy task, but it's SO not. By the end of our reading rotations I kind of think I might have been on the verge of an aneurysm.
 
Uno with kindergarteners goes something like this:
" 'Becept I don't want to play the card that matches. I just want to play this card right now."

"Heeeeey!!! I really wanted to draw that red card out of the pile, but he got it!!!!"

"Oooh! I have five cards. Can I just get more of these cards and count them?" 

"Look! I just mixed all of my cards back in the pile. My hands were feeling a little tired of holding those cards."

"Arf. Arf. Pretend I'm a black puppy with white patches playing this Uno game."

"Hey!! I made a train with my cards!"

Oh, there were several who had played the game before or who caught on quickly, but by and large Uno was a flop and the majority of the kids didn't "get it." So... we'll try again tomorrow!

Just to give you an idea of how very different the perspective of a kindergartener is, take a look at this that Ava wrote in her journal during free choice centers today. I think it is the cutest thing EVER. It cracks me up!!! She is trying to explain going to the dentist and having cotton gauze in her mouth:
"I went to the dentist. Dentist girl put a pillow under my teeth."

Even if they don't quite "get" the game of Uno, I love these kids more than I can really say. I have never been happier at my job. My heart is full...
And so is my bulletin board!

3 comments:

  1. Ethan came home all excited that you played Uno at school. It is one of his all time favorites that I don't play nearly enough with him. Just so you know, it shows in the way the kids love you that you love your job! I love helping out in your class and Mrs. G's class. You make it look so easy! I hope I can be as good as you one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kindergartners are the cutest! And they have a special teacher like you!!

    ReplyDelete