Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Advance Warning

Our letter this week is S.

Yesterday, we made a circle map of words that start with S, and the kids were so excited for some reason! All day long they talked about S. When we were out at recess one would spontaneously yell, "SLIDE!! Slide starts with S." And another, "SWING! Swing starts with S." And every time I would be talking, someone would interrupt me and shout, "SIT! You said SIT! Sit starts with S. SHOW! You said SHOW! Show starts with s! SQUISH! You said SQUISH! Squish starts with S!"

I'm going to be honest here. Nothing makes you feel more successful as a teacher than to see your kids so excited and truly "getting" a concept. Also, nothing makes you feel more annoyed than hearing every single word that starts with S over and over and over again for many hours.
 
By 1:00 I was DONE with the letter S. Actually I was done about 10:30- but I was really done at 1:00 when one students started crying because, "He told you SQUARE starts with S. That was in my brain and I wanted to tell you SQUARE starts with S."

So I told my kids, "Okay guys. We are done sharing about letter S today. We are not going to say any more S words. If you think of an S word, keep it in your head."

Mistake 1A.

Because at the end of the day one of my boys said, "I will tell my dad. I followed directions because I didn't say any S words after you said stop saying S words. I kept the S words in my head."

And then several piped up with, "I didn't say any S words after you said stop either."

So if your child tells you they didn't say S words at school, that is what they mean. Nothing more!

1 comment: